Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Lester B. Pearson

"How can there be peace
without people understanding eachother
and how can they understand eachother
without knowing eachother
"


I think this is what Lester Pearson said in his Nobel Peace Price speech, and this has become some of the foundation of and reason behind the united world colleges - UWC.



For one and a half week now I have been studying for my intercultural communication examination, and in the book I've been reading, I saw this quote and it reminded me (as almost everything else in that book) of my experiences at the college.
I realised how much I miss spending time with internationals and not only Norwegians. Spending those two years at the United World College of the American West has taught me so much and it is first now when I'm actually studying the subject that I pay attention to this. It is funny how I can read examples of experiences that the author has had and say that I have been in the exact same situation. I can read about stereotypes and think that this is how I have perceived people from different cultures as well, and I nod when I read about how stereotypes are washed away when you get to know people on a personal level and see them as exactly what they are, individuals with their own ideas - not solely reflecting their cultural background, but their own thoughts.

In about a year's time I will be in England, again experiencing the beauty of international living. I must admit that I have become very fond of Norway again and only a month ago I had no need to go abroad in very near future. I could even now say that I wouldn't be sad if I were to stay in Norway for the next couple of years either, but reality is that I am going to Exeter (probably)so I just have to start looking forward to it. So, that is what I have been doing the last month - adjusting my mind to the idea of going abroad again, and now I have succeeded:-) yeay!

No comments: